A mind mapping was done on the keyword after preliminary research. This is important to identify all the important aspects to be considered with information design. This exercise would help me to respect all the features while designing my artefact.
The key aspects identified in the mind mapping are:
- Purpose: The purpose or the objective of the information design or infographics must be clear and precise. The purpose can be multiple or single which is to inform, educate, sensitise, comparison of data, highlighting a trend.
- Target audience: The design has to be adapted to the target audience. Audience can be for a certain age group, general public, categories of working people.
- Data: data is available in various forms such as time, statistics, spatial. In information design interpretation and display of data is very important as very often complex data has to be represented clearly in a limited space.
- Visual communication system: Gathered information has to be analysed, classified, established relationships.
- Contents: The contents will depend on the chosen topic for the data visualization. It can contain texts, charts, images, timeline and maps
- Medium: The chosen medium can be static, motion or interactive
- Aesthetics: The design has to be aesthetically pleasing for the viewer. Therefore chosen colour has to be both functional and pleasing, the chosen type has to be easy to read
- Characteristics: The information displayed must have an easy flow, easy to digest, simplified, easy comparison of information.
Tufte, Edward (2007) The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Connecticut: Graphics Press.
Iliinsky, Noah and Steele, Julie (2011) Designing Data Visualizations, USA: O’Reilly Media Inc.